Working for the health of the people in Okanogan County  
 Report Violations
For Public Health emergancies after hours call 911. To report septic violations, food safety violations or illegal dumping contact us at 509-422-7140

Drinking Water


The Drinking Water Program provides bacteriological and nitrate testing for individual and public water systems. Small water systems are evaluated for adequate construction and operations. Information is available concerning any drinking water problems you may have.  Washington State Department of Heath Division of Drinking Water Link

Water Sample Testing - Our state certified and accredited Water Laboratory can test your water to detect coliform bacteria, an indicator of water contamination and potential source of microbial infection. Water may also be tested for nitrate, a chemical contaminant. The fee for either test is $35 and the special test bottles needed are available at all of the outlying City Halls or Okanogan County Public Health. Coliform water samples are accepted in our office Monday - Thursday by 3:00 p.m.  Nitrate water samples are accepted in our office Monday - Wednesday by 3:00 p.m. 

Water Runs - For your convenience we have arranged for a water sample pickup service at various city halls in the county. You may drop off your samples according to the following schedule:

Water Sample Pickup Schedule – First Monday of Each Month 

Oroville City Hall

9:00 a.m. to 11:30 am

Tonasket City Hall

9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon

Brewster City Hall

9:00 a.m. to 12:30 pm

Pateros City Hall

9:00 a.m. to 1:00 pm

Winthrop City Hall

9:00 a.m. to 1:30 pm

Twisp City Hall

9:00 a.m. to 2:00 pm

If a Monday pickup service falls on a holiday, there will be no service that day; pickup service will be on the day after the holiday.

Please Note: If nitrate samples are left at the city halls for pickup, they MUST be kept cold, either by refrigeration or by leaving them on ice. 

Water Samples may be delivered to the Okanogan County Public Health office Monday through Thursday by 3:00 p.m. for coliform and Monday thru Wednesday by 3:00 p.m. for Nitrate samples.  Okanogan County Public Health is located in the Public Services Building at 1234 S. 2nd Ave. in Okanogan.  Water samples CANNOT be accepted on holidays.  Please do not attempt to send water samples through the mail as they are too old to process when they arrive. If you have any questions regarding the above information, please call (509) 422-7140.

Certified Drinking Water Tests available : 



Nitrate (MUST be kept cold/on ice)




 Test containers are available at the Okanogan County Public Health office and at the city halls listed above.

Water Adequacy Application
Our office is also responsible for determining that an adequate supply of water is available for individuals applying for building permits.  This process includes a Water Adequacy Application (the fee for this is $75).  Also needed are satisfactory Coliform and Nitrate water tests.

Department of Ecology Well Log Database Link:

Link to SENTRY for informaiton on public water systems:

For more information about water adequacy or  testing please call (509) 422-7140.



1234 S. 2nd Ave.
P.O. Box 231
Okanogan, WA 98840
(509) 422-7140



Web Master: Marta Reed, Email