Food Worker Class Info

Food & Beverage Worker Cards
All food service employees in Okanogan County who handle unwrapped foods or beverages are required to hold a current Washington State Food Worker Permit (WAC 246-217). There are three parts to obtaining a Food Worker card: 1) Study the Food Workers Manual, 2) Pass a Food Workers online test, 3) Get a Food Workers permit or "card". The permit is obtained by taking the Food Worker class and passing a test. The permit fee is $10. 

Printed Food Worker Manuals to study are available at the City Hall in each town and the Okanogan County Public Health District (OCPHD) in Okanogan, WA. Several language options are available online by clicking this link: 

For your quick convenience, here are links to the online web-based manual or PDF for the English and Spanish Food Worker Manuals:
Must have internet or web access to read manual

Can be saved to a device to read later without internet or web access

Food Worker Manual - English (Web)

Food Worker Manual - Spanish (Web)

Food Worker Manual - English (PDF)

Food Worker Manual - Spanish (PDF)
Please read each of the options below BEFORE starting the Food Worker class and test online.

Complete all parts online: Food Worker class, pass Test & print Food Worker card

  • Take the class, pass the test, and pay for your card online with a credit or debit card. A PDF of your Food Worker card will be sent to your email after you pass the test and pay for the permit or "card". You will need to print your card after you receive it.
  • If you qualify for a 3-year or 5-year card but did not obtain your current card using the online program, read these FAQs (PDF) before you get started.
  • When you’re ready, start the class by clicking this link >>> Food Worker Card - Online Class & Test

Take the Food Worker class & the Test online, then pay for & pick up your card at the OCPHD in Okanogan, WA

This option should be used if you do not have a credit or debit card available for an online payment, or the ability to print a card, or a personal email address. This is also a good option if you want to renew your card for 3 or 5 years and did not obtain your current card online. For more details, read these FAQs (PDF) before you get started. If you have questions before you get started, call (509) 422-7140.

  • Take the online class and pass the test, then stop after you receive notice that you have passed the test and before you make a payment online for the card.
  • Bring your photo ID along with cash or money order payment of $10.00 to OCPHD, Monday through Friday before 4:00 PM and we will print your Food Worker card for you.
  • When you’re ready, start the class by clicking this link >>> Food Worker Card - Online Class & Test

Card Renewal & Replacement
  • Your first Food Worker permit or "card" is valid for 2 years.
  • Renewal of an expired card is also valid for 2 years.
  • Renewal of a current card is valid for 3 years.
  • A 5-year card is available to anyone who has taken an approved ServSafe course and who is renewing their card.
  • A replacement Food Worker Card can be purchased from the OCPHD. Check the current Food Program Fee list

OCPHD, PO Box 231, 1234 South 2nd Avenue, Okanogan, WA  98840  (509) 422-7140