Communities throughout North Central Washington are subject to a number of potential natural disasters such as fires, floods and severe storms. Recent events have heightened awareness to the threat of man-made disasters, as well. Okanogan County Public Health urges everyone living in and visiting Okanogan County to prepare for emergencies by having an emergency preparedness plan.
- Register for Okanogan County Community Alerts
- Be Prepared, Be Safe (WA DOH link)
- Disasters & Emergencies (Ready.gov link)
- Disaster Ready Washington (Emergency management Division link)
- Plan Ahead (CDC link)
The American Red Cross and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) have a number of helpful tools to develop a family emergency preparedness plan, which should include these four steps:
- Identify the types of emergencies that could happen to you
- Create a family disaster plan. Remember to prepare for your pets too!
- Put your plan into action – collect supplies, perform training
- Practice and maintain your plan.