Marriage Licenses

Applying for Your License

Appear in the Auditors Office before 4:00 PM.  The marriage license department is closed between noon and 1 p.m. daily.

Both parties should be present to apply for the license. If you are unable to apply in person, you may request an application from the Okanogan County Auditor's Office and your signatures on the completed application must be acknowledged by a notary public.
Waiting period and expiration

There is a three (3) day waiting period beginning the first day after you apply for your license and ending the third day following application. The license is valid for 60 days and may only be used in the State of Washington.

There are no blood tests, witnesses, nor birth, nor divorce certificates required to apply for a marriage license. Additionally, there is no residency requirement in the State of Washington. Divorced persons may apply for a marriage license as long as the final decree of divorce has been filed.

Both applicants need to know in what state (or country) their parents were born and their mother's maiden name.
Age Requirements

Persons applying for marriage licenses must be 18 years of age or older
License Fee

There is a $59.00 fee for marriage licenses due at the time of application. Cash, and money orders are accepted.  Personal checks are not accepted at this time.
Performing the Ceremony

State law prescribes who can perform a marriage ceremony: active and retired Supreme Court justices, Court of Appeals judges, Superior Court judges, Superior Court commissioners, and judges of courts of limited jurisdiction, as well as any regularly licensed or ordained minister or priest of any church or religious denomination. See RCW 26.04.050 for a complete list.

Ministers from any state may perform marriage ceremonies. Neither the bride nor the groom may perform the ceremony.

For information about having a District Court judge perform the ceremony, please call the District Court at 509-422-7170.
Public Disclosure

All marriage records are a matter of public record. The one exception to this is for those enrolled in the State's Address Confidentiality program.

Once a license has been recorded, it cannot be "unrecorded".