Frequently Asked Questions

How do I remove an erroneous lien from my property?
The Auditor’s office staff are not experts in real estate law and are prohibited from providing any legal advice. Real estate documents are legal instruments. In order to ensure you are protected and your transaction is completed correctly, we suggest you consult an attorney or title insurance company.
How do I know what liens are on a piece of property?

You may come in and search the records on your own or you may request a member of the Recording staff conduct a search for you. An $8 search fee will apply for each name.

How do I do a title search?
All records in our office are located by searching our grantor/grantee name index. To ensure a title search is done completely and accurately, however, we suggest you contact a title insurance company.
Can you tell me who the owner of a piece of property is by parcel number or street address?

Please note that there is on-line access to property information, accessed by either parcel number or street address. Otherwise, please contact the Assessor’s Office.

How do I get the dimensions for my property?
From the subdivision plat or survey which you can get from our office in person, by phone or by sending in a mail request
How do I get a copy of my deed?
You can request a copy from our office in person, by phone or by e-mail.
How can I find out about a house for sale (foreclosure)?
You may search our records with the owner’s name. If you do not have the owner's name but do have the street address or the parcel number, you can get the owner's name by using the Assessor’s on-line access to property information, accessed by either parcel number or street address. If you wish to search for foreclosures within a specific geographic area, you may search our records by document type (Notice of Trustee’s Sale) and match the legal description to the area you are interested in.
What happens to my document when it is presented for recording?
If the document meets recording standards and the correct fees have been paid, the document is assigned an Auditor File Number and a bar code label is placed on the document with the number, and the date and time of recording. The document is optically scanned. The day after the document is recorded, our data entry staff will index the document so it can be located in the future. Your original document will be returned to the address typed on the document. Our office retains documents, which are returned undeliverable, for one year. If the original document is ever lost or misplaced, a certified copy may be obtained from our office.
I received a document in the mail that says "Reconveyance" on it. What is it?
This document means your Deed of Trust has been paid in full. You have either made the final payment on the mortgage on your property, or you refinanced your property.