Okanogan County/Veteran Relief Board
Are you a veteran that has been honorably discharged and want to be of assistance to other veterans? Okanogan County may have just the position for you.
Okanogan County is currently recruiting for the position of Veteran’s Relief Assistant. This position is part-time and located in Tonasket, WA. Wage is $13.70 per hour with no benefits.
This position reports to the Board of Okanogan County Commissioners but is directly supervised by the County Veterans’ Services Officer (CVSO). This position is responsible to independently interview indigent, honorably-discharged applicants. Will assist applicants with forms and provide emergency assistance for qualified Okanogan County residents. The employee occupying this position is responsible for verifying the status of veterans or beneficiaries and determining their eligibility for financial assistance under the provisions of RCW 73.08.
The Veterans’ Relief Assistant provides clerical assistance to the County Veterans Services Officer (CVSO). Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assists the CVSO by scheduling interviews with veterans, dependents,
widows, widowers or other dependents to determine eligibility for
assistance under the provisions of RCW 73.08.
- Assists the CVSO in verifying identification of applicants and
determining that requirements of Honorable wartime service, residency in
the State of Washington for a period of 12 months and indigence are met.
- Assists the CVSO with the screening and appropriate referrals for
client needs that are outside the scope of this program; develops active
involvement and networking with other veteran providers that may provide
for other needs of veterans and their families.
- Evaluates and confirms information provided on the application and
uses data to determine eligibility categories which dictate type and
frequency of assistance.
- Performs routine office tasks as necessary; receives, processes and
issues various forms, applications, notices, orders; reviews for such
things as accuracy, completeness, required stamps and signatures.
- Maintains solid and professional communications with other resource
and referral agencies.
- Assists CVSO in establishing and maintaining client records in
accordance to policies set down by Okanogan County and the State of
Washington, Division of Archives & Records Management.
- Analyzes daily operational procedures and advises the CVSO of any
recommendations to more efficiently accomplish assigned tasks.
- Performs all other tasks which may be reasonably required of the
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent
- Must be honorably discharged veteran – DD214 Required
- One year of office work experience involving public contact
- Experience working with Veteran’s benefits
To Apply Offline: Submit letter of interest, resume, and completed Okanogan County Employment Application and copy of your DD214 to: Okanogan County Human Resources, 123 5th Ave N #150 Okanogan, WA 98840. Applications will be accepted until March 30,2021 at 5:00 p.m. For additional information please contact Human Resources at 509-422-7169.