April 10, 2017

The Okanogan County Board of Commissioners met in regular session on April 10, 2017 with Commissioner Jim DeTro, Commissioner Chris Branch, Commissioner Hover, and Laleña Johns, Clerk of the Board present.

Commissioner Hover and Commissioner Branch signed a letter to Douglas County regarding various estimates for Okanogan County Jail capital improvement projects prior to Commissioner Hover attending a Douglas County Commissioner meeting with Tanya Craig in Wenatchee this morning. (attached)

Commissioner DeTro arrived at about 11:00 a.m.

No Quorum until Commissioners DeTro and Branch convened at 11:25 AM.

Motion Methow Valley EMS District
Commissioner Branch moved to adjourn as the BOCC and reconvene as the Methow Valley EMS District. Motion was seconded all were in favor, motion carried.

Commissioner Branch moved to approve the Methow Valley EMS District vouchers in the amount of $54,920.50. Motion was seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.

Commissioner Branch moved to adjourn as the Methow Valley EMS and Reconvene as the BOCC Motion was seconded all were in favor, motion carried.

Commissioners adjourned for lunch at 12:00 p.m.

Commissioners convened at 1:30 p.m.

Update-Planning-Perry Huston

Motion Tonasket Ems District
Commissioner Hover moved to adjourn as the BOCC and reconvene as the Tonasket EMS District. Motion was seconded all were in favor, motion carried.
Tracy Walker, Roxie King, Perry Huston, Dan Higbee, Karen Mulchay member of the public taking notes.

Audit Entrance conference
Ms. Walker explained the 2016 accountability audit of the Tonasket EMS District. The Entrance conference document was submitted and a letter signed by the Commission Chair, Jim DeTro to Perry Huston regarding the audit. Ms. Walker went through the audit responsibilities. Reporting loss must be reported because they have to reevaluate. Emerging issues were discussed in terms of updates of the BARS manual. A travel rate adjustment was made from $93.00 hours to $46.50 per hour due to SAO travel not requiring the same amount of staff support as on site auditing. Local government support center was discussed and other tools that will help prepare for the audit. Commissioner Hover asked how the changes will change the scope of the audit. Ms. Walker discussed the Methow EMS audit and it will depend on the contract. If the assets continue to be owned by the district then that is different than when the district doesn’t own any assets. Commissioner Hover asked if there is a finding how is that addressed. It would require continued accountability audit rather than assessments.

Director Huston provided the commissioners with the Tonasket EMS district vouchers. The contract with Life Line continues to be negotiated but is should be close. The materials for the audit will be gathered

Motion Tonasket EMS Vouchers
Commissioner Hover moved to approve the Tonasket EMS District vouchers in the amount of $26,914. Motion was seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.

Commissioner Hover moved to adjourn as the Tonasket EMS and Reconvene as the BOCC Motion was seconded all were in favor, motion carried.

Albert Lin arrived at about 1:50 p.m.

Public Works -Josh Thomson Gary George
Mike Worden, Dan Higbee

Josh Thomson and Gary George were asked to come and discuss the flooding and landslide issues. Aeneas valley road is closed right now and may not be opened up until tomorrow. The one resident was contacted as he is out of town and would not be affected. There are partial washouts with some being reduced to one lane, crews are working on those. All county roads are passable. They are looking at Wednesday storm coming up which may bring additional concerns. There were several roads that could have been lost but crews got to them in time. There are 24 roads with partial loss of shoulders. However no pavement has been lost at this point. Commissioner Hover asked about Sinlahekin road upper Conconully Lake that brought a lot of debris down which affected about five cabins. Mr. George explained the water is still flowing from its diverted location and opted to leave that until after the Wednesday storm. The cabin owners were contacted and they are okay with that plan. Thursday they plan to reestablish the original channel on the creek. The sewer systems for those cabins have been affected. The systems have been evaluated with one cabin having a broken line. Property around the cabins have been damaged but not the cabins themselves. Mr. George stated Peter Dan road is now completely blocked by a slide and that is the only road that has become impassible. Crews have been pushing to address all the issues around the county. Commissioners would like roads to be marked to let people know well ahead of where the Peter Dan road is in case some do not realize. Commissioner DeTro mentioned materials being taken out of the Haeberle pit should also contact Tollefson for any material he might have that is closer to the areas in danger.

Director Huston asked if the board wished to establish an emergency declaration. The Hoishitt Road is the biggest cost. The purpose of issuing an emergency declaration would be to avoid the time involved with contracting, bids, and opens up more options to taking care of the situation. The commissioners felt that it would be something they would consider with the upcoming storm. Commissioner DeTro asked Director Huston to draft a resolution.

Commissioner Hover asked if the State had contacted the county about Hwy 20 as he has received many calls. Josh Thomson stated he has not been contacted. Mike Worden said he was contacted by the state and a contract is being initiated. He explained there is some asphalt being compromised at 221 mile post. There appears to be around 12 structures affected. Emergency transportation routes were discussed. The Clerk of the Board discussed a call from DNR regarding their debris flows and weather related issues they wanted to update the board on, but they were unable to meet with the board until possibly Wednesday. Mr. George explained he was aware of their desire to meet and discuss.

OCC 20 update was provided. Another batch of publications and applications building permits and future building for WIRA 52 and moves into Ferry County and those residents will be getting notice of those applications. Also Ferry County Planning Director will be provided information about what Okanogan County is doing to address the situation with the water right holders and permits south of Ferry County.

Director Huston will get ahold of the water companies to evaluate whether we are getting into any areas of concerns, such as Johnson Creek area water holders to ensure no impairments are eminent with the applications being processed by the county.

Commissioner Hover would like to know what the Department of Ecology is doing with these issues. Director Huston will try and find someone at DOE who will talk to him.

Commissioner Branch asked about the public process for Short Plats that were subject to appeal. The vesting point was discussed in terms of the exempt wells being used for certain plats. Commissioner Branch discussed several plats the City of Oroville when the face of the plat certified that the subdivision would be served by the City system and suggested that a plat indicating water legally provided by an exempt well would also be vested for each lot.

Director Huston stated Sandy Mackie is meeting with Ferry County on their water stuff and thought he should also attend. Commissioner Hover stated that would be a good meeting for him to attend to ensure we are addressing the vesting consistently. We would specifically notify all the senior water right holders for future pre-existing property wells.

Dan Higbee discussed permitting within the Methow area and his discussion with contractors about a busy upcoming year. Commissioner Hover asked if he has discussed with them the full process for permitting. Mr. Higbee has been telling them it will be a longer process and recommended they start submitting their paperwork early. Mr. Higbee stated they are used to two or three weeks wait, but it will be more like 6-8 weeks now.

Commissioner Hover asked Mr. Lin about a situation where someone filed an impairment with Ecology a number of years ago against a neighbor who was putting a larger pump in his well. Commissioner Hover is wondering what the impairment paperwork looked like. Could that be requested by the county and would that impede the person’s process. Mr. Lin stated we would be dealing with an individual’s personal rights. Commissioner Hover stated it would be the information that came from DOE that they used which might help us figure out their thought process they went through to make their determination. Mr. Lin stated we are in litigation and hypothetically this is one of those issues we might have to cross and he doesn’t want the commissioners to be projecting any thoughts on the issue. He replied it is hard to give an answer when we don’t know how this would play out.

Energy Project
We can begin to move ahead with the easement agreement. He would like to draft an agreement for review. The sub was discussed. Salcido has contacted Ameresco and suggested how to augment HVAC system for summer cooling should the system not be completed prior to the heat of the summer.

Environmental review under SEPA for critical areas ordinance for 2012 revisions for 2018 review; he hoped to get that scheduled. He has started the checklist that will go into the environmental review for the new ATV rules being developed. Commissioner Branch stated the SEPA for critical areas comments would help drive the review and it should be well understood. Director Huston wished to ensure everyone understands the situation well.

Planning Budget Activity report Director Huston stated some money will need to be diverted within his budget as there are things beginning to take up additional time. Applicants for the Malott marijuana processing/producer Emerald City Cannabis will be coming in to discuss the denial of the Hearing Examiner for their operation in the Malott Improvement center. Commissioner Branch asked Director Huston to call them and explain the board could not supersede the Hearing Examiner decision on this.

Commissioners discussed the Grizzly Bear reintroduction comments to the Park Service. Commissioner Hover asked Director to poll which counties would include comments against the reintroduction of grizzlies.

Commissioner Branch moved to authorize the letter to the Park Service regarding the reintroduction of Grizzly bear in the state. Motion was seconded, all were in favor, motion carried. Ms. Karen Mulchay asked what the letter said and Commissioner Branch explained. Commissioner Hover stated he has received several comments from people who were in favor of the reintroduction. The commissioners discussed the pros and cons respecting that certain groups were interested in maintaining the natural character of the wilderness through reintroduction. Commissioner Branch read from the signed letter.

Commissioners discussed the Dept. of Ag grant that is no longer available after June 30, 2017. Commissioner Hover discussed purchasing prefabricated aluminum bleachers that appear to be much more economical. The new approach would require a slab and prefab bleachers and the demo of preexisting bleachers. Commissioner Branch discussed the DAHP report that is required before Dept of Ag can tell us wether the grant money is still available.

Commissioners discussed the following week’s agenda. The Spear’s (Bart & Roxie) had invited Commissioner DeTro to their range meeting being held at the Tonasket Ranger District Building for purposes other than a regular or special meeting of the board and whether a quorum of commissioners would require the Clerk of the Board to be there to take minutes or not when a possible decision may be required at a later date regarding the topic. Commissioner Branch had expressed an interest to attend while Commissioner Hover had been requested to attend in Commissioners DeTro’s place. He opined suggested that it should not be an Open Public Meetings violation if attended to merely listen to the information being provided. Legal opinion will be pursued.

Motion Resolution 64-2017 Budget Adjustment Therapeutic Court Juvenile
Commissioner Branch moved to approve resolution 64-2017 a budget adjustment within the Therapeutic Court Juvenile section budget. Motion was seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.

The Clerk of the Board presented a letter of interest from Charles Brushwood to serve on the Water Conservancy Board vacant position left by Lee Barker. (attached) The commissioners reviewed the letter.

Motion Appointment of Charles Brushwood Water Conservancy Board
Commissioner Hover moved to direct staff to draft a letter of appointment for Charles Brushwood to the Water Conservancy Board. Motion was seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.

Commissioners discussed the request for use of our fairgrounds race track. Commissioner Hover stated we would be using tax payer money to maintain the track for those who make money on the use of the track due to practicing for other races.

Motion Resolution 65-2017 Declaration of Emergency Hazardous Conditions
Commissioner Hover moved to approve resolution 65-2017 a declaration of emergency hazardous conditions within Okanogan County due to flash flooding as a result of severe rain events and damage caused by the Carlton Complex and other wildfires within Okanogan County. Motion was seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.

Review Meeting Minutes

Special Meeting-Okanogan County Transportation Authority- Commissioners May Attend-303 Ave. S, Suite A, Okanogan, WA (TranGo Office)

Commissioner Branch adjourned the hearing at 4:25 p.m.